Are you a teacher or parent hoping to strengthen your child’s reading abilities? I’ve been searching high and low, and I have found my Top Ten Reading Apps (for I-pads) to keep students happily engaged in reading. Whether you’re looking for summer reading practice or want apps to use in your classroom, here are ten apps you definitely need to download TODAY!
Top Ten Reading Apps
Here’s a rundown of my Top Ten Reading Apps along with a printable list you can send home with parents at the end of school! This is also a great list to give parents at Open House!
- Speed Reading Academy – This fun, educational app helps young readers build their fluency and stamina. Speed Reading Academy is interactive, and it’s designed to help students increase their reading speed.
2. EPIC This is a subscription-based e-book library that’s just $4.99 per month, and it’s filled with more than 20,000 e-books at various levels. There’s something for EVERY reader!
3. Reading Rainbow‘s SKYBRARY is a carefully curated, ever expanding interactive library of digital books and video explorations designed to engage young readers and foster a love of learning.
4. For great nonfiction reading practice, the Time for Kids app can’t be beat. It brings current events to life for children.
5. Starfall is perfect for younger students. This was originally just a website, but it is being transitioned into an app. Starfall is a wonderful website with many great learning materials for kids in PreK to Grade 2. Keep an eye on this app as it continues to expand!
6. Sight Words Learning Games and Reading Flash Cards will help students learn all 220 Dolch words through a series of six games and activities. As you know, sight word mastery is CRITICAL for reading success!
7. For emerging readers, BOB Books have always been a favorite. Now they’re an app!! They take children on an interactive journey that blends learning, reading, and fun.
8. Another fun sight word app is Sight Word Ninja. If you’ve ever played Fruit Ninja, you know how addictive it is. In this game, the fruit is replaced with sight words! How fun does that sound?
9. Teach Your Monster to Read is one of my favorites! Teach Your Monster to Read is an award-winning phonics and reading game that’s helped over a million children learn to read.
10. The Dr. Seuss Treasury includes 55 Dr. Seuss classics which have been adapted into delightful interactive experiences.
Click the image below to download this list of Top Ten Reading Apps in a printable format to send home with your students’ parents. Believe me, they’ll thank you!
Be sure to pin this post so you can find it later!